If you're an avid tik tok user, chances are that you've seen #glasskin accompany almost every skincare tik tok.
The term "glass skin" refers to a Korean skincare trend that has become well-known on social media, especially TikTok. Skin that is smooth, poreless, and reflective like glass is a common desire many skin care enthusiasts wish to attain.
The #glassskin hashtag on TikTok has received over 52 million views from individuals who have shared their skincare routines and tricks for getting the glass skin look. The use of Korean skincare products, including essences, serums, and sheet masks, has become more widespread as a result of the trend.
But for the high price point, is Korean skincare really worth it?
Ingredients that differentiate Korean Skincare:
Korean skincare products often contain high-quality ingredients that are sourced from nature, such as plant extracts, which can provide benefits to the skin.
These ingredients often include:
1. Snail mucin: This common component of Korean skincare contains proteins and antioxidants that can enhance the moisture, texture, and suppleness of the skin.
2. Green tea: Green tea, which is rich in antioxidants, is frequently included in Korean skincare products to calm and shield the skin from external aggressors.
3. Rice: Because it includes vitamins and minerals that can help brighten the complexion and enhance skin texture, rice is a popular component in Korean skincare.
4. Honey: Honey hydrates and calms the skin naturally because it is a humectant. Moreover, it has antimicrobial qualities that may aid in preventing acne.
5. Ginseng: Ginseng is frequently used in anti-ageing skincare products because it contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that can improve skin suppleness and encourage skin cell turnover
And many more effective ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid and vitamin c, make their products of high quality and effective in their target purpose.
Another great thing about Korean skincare is that they focus on one aspect of skin care at a time so that the products do not get over complicated and can be suitable for all skin types. This is also why Korean skincare brands prefer not to add scents or mild irritants to their products, so that they can be versatile for all skin types.
2. Korean skincare routines allow consumers to customise products according to their skincare wants(eg: hyperpigmentation, dryness, etc). Since Korean skincare focuses on holistic products, you can find a product with the ingredients you want for the skin type you have almost instantaneously.
3. Korean skincare stresses a holistic strategy for skincare that puts a strong emphasis on hydration, nourishment, and prevention. This method may result in skin that is healthy and radiant.
4. Using a Korean skincare routine will help you relax and relieve tension, which can enhance your general well-being and is a form of self-care.
However, there are some disadvantages to this type of skincare culture, primarily:
1. Cost: Some Korean skincare products can be expensive, especially those that contain high-quality, natural ingredients.
2. Sensitivity: Certain Korean skincare products include scents, essential oils, or other components that, in some people, might irritate or aggravate the skin.
3. Accessibility: It may be difficult for customers to try out and adopt some Korean skincare products into their skincare routines when they are purchased outside of Korea.
The final verdict:
So, after weighing out the pros and cons of Korean skincare, is it really worth it?
While Korean skincare is expensive and the routine is extensive, that doesn't mean there are more affordable products that can't be tailored to your needs! Korean skincare is definitely an investment in one's skincare and health, and due to its miraculous benefits and results in almost no time, I’d say it was definitely worth purchasing. And so, here are my top picks for affordable and high-quality Korean skincare products that are guaranteed to give you glowy, radiant skin.
1. Cleanser - The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Light Face Cleansing Foam (12 USD)
Due to its incredible skin-clarifying qualities, rice water is one of the most often used components in Korean beauty care products. To brighten and nourish dry skin, The Face Shop's cleanser is brimming with the hydrating, detoxifying, and brightening benefits of rice water extracts. It is the greatest water-based cleanser made in Korea.
The cleanser reduces moisture loss and leaves your skin feeling rejuvenated rather than tight or stretched. A must-add to your routine!
2. Toner-Mini Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer (15 USD)
A novel product that combines the benefits of a toner with a moisturiser is the Laneige Cream Skin Refiner Toner. To keep the skin soft and supple, this product is made to deeply hydrate it and give long-lasting hydration. The Laneige Cream Skin Refiner Toner's ability to be effective on all skin types is another fantastic feature.
It is light enough for oily and mixed skin while being mild and moisturising enough for dry and sensitive skin. And while the price point is on the higher spectrum(the regular-sized one is about 33 USD), the mini one lasts a long time and is definitely worth purchasing.
3. Essence-Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence (9 USD for the mini version,25 USD regular)
If you're on tik tok, then this product needs no introduction, but if not, then the Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence has 96% extract from snail mucus. This ingredient is renowned for its anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory qualities, as well as its capacity to moisturise and restore the skin barrier. The skin looks more plump and youthful since its initial uses, and it also helps to soothe redness or irritation instantaneously. I would highly recommend trying this product out!
4. Serum-SOME BY MI Aha.Bha.Pha 30Days Miracle Serum 50ml (1.7oz)(19 USD)
Aha.Bha.Pha 30 Days Miracle Serum is intended to treat acne-prone and troubled skin. Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), and poly-hydroxy acids (PHAs) are a combination found in the product that together exfoliates the skin, unclogs pores, and lessens the visibility of acne and blemishes. If you're someone who gets confused about the variety of serums out there, this one is a perfect beginner-friendly one for starters!
5. Eye cream- Mizon Cosmetics Snail Repair Eye Cream(9 USD)
A well-liked skincare item for the delicate skin around the eyes is the Mizon Cosmetics Snail Healing Eye Cream. It contains snail mucin extract, which has a reputation for hydrating and repairing skin as well as minimising the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. While you don't necessarily need eye cream in your routine, if you are someone who struggles with dark circles or eye bags, then this product is a must-try.
6. Moisturizer -Dewy Glow Jelly Cream with Jeju Cherry Blossom(26 USD)
Another tik tok phenomenon, this moisturizer is single-handedly capable of giving you dewy and glossy skin that glows all day long. The Innisfree Cherry Blossom Cream is a lightweight, hydrating moisturizer that is infused with cherry blossom extract. This ingredient is known for its ability to brighten and even out the skin tone, as well as provide antioxidant protection against environmental stressors. If you had to purchase one thing from this article, I would strongly recommend purchasing this product.
7. Sunscreen-COSRX Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF50 PA+++, 50ml(14 USD)
The COSRX Aloe Soothing Sun Cream is a lightweight, non-greasy sunscreen that is designed to provide high-level protection against harmful UV rays. It contains aloe vera leaf extract, which helps to soothe and hydrate the skin, as well as protect it against environmental stressors. It also has an SPF of 50 and a PA+++ rating, which means that it provides effective protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Sunscreen is an absolute must in any skincare routine and it is so imperative that you prioritize this product over all else.
There's a reason why Korean skincare has gained international popularity. Its foundation is a philosophy that aims to achieve healthy, glowing skin for all skin types by placing an emphasis on natural ingredients, cutting-edge formulas, and premium goods.
At first, Korean skincare routines may seem overwhelming, but the benefits are priceless. You can develop healthier, more beautiful skin that is well-hydrated and shielded from environmental stressors by integrating a regular skincare programme.
As always, don't forget to listen to your skin and its needs, and do your ingredient research before purchasing any products. All the best and happy Skincaring!