Unless you have been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks, chances are you have heard of the Netflix show Squid Game. The popular Korean tv show was an immediate hit and quickly became Netflix's most-watched show. The show has many iconic moments, but the one which really stood out was when the characters were given dalgona candy in several shapes and had to break it apart. If the dalgona candy cracked, the characters would die! Dramatic, right?
What is Dalgona Candy?
Even though the candy rose to popularity on TikTok because of Squid Game, it was already a popular Korean candy found throughout Korea! The candy is made out of sugar and baking soda. It is also referred to as Korean honeycomb toffee or Ppopgi. Ppopgi (which means 'to pick') was an extremely popular Korean game for children during the 1960s. Some street vendors would give out a second Dalgona candy if the children managed not to break it!
Equipment and Ingredients
10 tbsp sugar
1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Baking mat / Parchment Paper
Popsicle/Cake pop Sticks
Metal Measuring Cup
PLEASE READ: This candy dries quickly and can become extremely messy and hot. If the mixture sticks to the pot or utensils heat it up using a stove and clean when the mixture is still moderately hot. It is very hard to clean the mixture once it has dried out. Do not rinse the pot under cold water (the mixture will crystalize in the pot) and immediately soak all materials after use.
- Place parchment paper or baking sheet on a baking tin.
- Place 10 popsicle sticks on a tin, set aside.
- Place the pot on the stove and add the sugar.
- Stir with chopsticks or a wooden spoon until the sugar begins to melt. This will take approximately 2-4 minutes, but the timing may vary. The sugar should be dissolved and smell like caramel.
- Remove the pot immediately from the heat and add in the baking soda.
- Whisk the baking soda vigorously for 10 seconds, until the mixture turns light brown.
- Pour the mixture into circles on the popsicle sticks.
- Spray the measuring cup with non-stick spray and press the candy until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to achieve your desired shape
- Let the dalgona candy cool for 3-10 minutes
Make sure to try out the recipe and tag us on Instagram @theteenmagazine!