Thanksgiving is a time for gathering with loved ones and giving thanks for all of the blessings in our lives. While there are many special aspects to this holiday, one of the best parts is certainly the food! For many people, Thanksgiving revolves around delicious dishes ranging from the main course to dessert. However, a lot of us prefer simpler things, which are the side dishes! Here are my top picks for the best Thanksgiving side dishes:
1. Mashed Potatoes
Creamy, buttery, and oh-so-comforting, mashed potatoes are a staple of any Thanksgiving meal. Whether they're smothered in gravy or topped with a dollop of sour cream, these potatoes are sure to please.
There are many ways to enjoy mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving! Here are a few ideas:
- Serve them as a side dish with turkey and gravy.
- Use them as a base for shepherd's pie or a casserole.
- Make potato pancakes or latkes with leftover mashed potatoes.
- Use them as a topping for a savory pie or quiche.
- Mix in some shredded cheese and chopped herbs for extra flavor.
Made with bread, herbs, and other savory ingredients, stuffing is the ultimate comfort food. It's the perfect complement to turkey and gravy, and it's also great as a leftover.
You can enjoy stuffing on Thanksgiving in many ways! Here are a few ideas:
• Serve it as a side dish with turkey and gravy.
• Use it as a filling for stuffed mushrooms or peppers.
• Make it into a stuffing waffle or sandwich with leftover turkey.
• Use it as a topping for a shepherd's pie or casserole.
• Add it to a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs and bacon.
While it may not be the most traditional Thanksgiving side dish, a crisp salad can be a refreshing addition to the meal. Try a mix of greens, nuts, and dried cranberries for a festive touch.
You can enjoy salad in many ways! Here are a few ideas:
- Serve it as a fresh and light side dish to balance out the heavier Thanksgiving dishes.
- Add some roasted turkey or chicken to your salad to make it more filling.
- Top your salad with cranberries, pecans, and goat cheese for a festive touch.
- Serve a chopped salad as a stuffing alternative for vegetarians or those who prefer a lighter option.
- Make a leftover turkey salad with mixed greens, sliced turkey, and your favorite dressing.
Sweet, savory, and slightly crumbly, cornbread is a classic Southern side dish that's perfect for Thanksgiving. Serve it warm with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey.
Here are a few ideas on how to eat cornbread on Thanksgiving:
• Serve it warm with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey.
• Crumble it up and use it as a stuffing for turkey or chicken.
• Use it as a base for a cornbread stuffing or casserole.
• Top it with chili or soup for a hearty meal.
• Make cornbread dressing to serve alongside the turkey.
5. Sweet Potatoes
Whether they're mashed, roasted, or baked with a marshmallow topping, sweet potatoes are a must-have at any Thanksgiving feast. They're packed with nutrients and add a touch of sweetness to the meal.
There are many ways to incorporate sweet potatoes into your Thanksgiving meal! Here are a few ideas:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Boil or bake the sweet potatoes until they are tender, then mash them with butter, brown sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Sweet Potato Casserole: Combine mashed sweet potatoes with a sweet and crunchy topping made from brown sugar, pecans, and butter. Bake until the topping is golden brown and crispy.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Toss sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then roast them in the oven until they are caramelized and tender.
- Sweet Potato Pie: Bake a sweet potato pie for dessert! Combine mashed sweet potatoes with eggs, sugar, milk, and spices, then bake in a pie crust until it's set.
- Sweet Potato Biscuits: Add mashed sweet potatoes to your favorite biscuit recipe for a flavorful and festive twist.
No matter which side dishes you choose to serve, Thanksgiving is always a special time to gather with loved ones and enjoy a delicious meal together.
So try some of these delicious side dishes and let me know in the comments if you liked them!