Meet Laur Elle: A singer-songwriter with a passion for poetic storytelling and a talent for delivering a dose of escapism. With Laur Elle's childhood being shaped by the discipline and determination of competitive gymnastics, her journey to music was not a straight path. However, it was through her love of language that she discovered her true voice, first as a poet and then as a singer-songwriter. Now, she's ready to take listeners on a journey, providing a much-needed escape from the stresses of everyday life through her music.
Laur Elle is known for indie-pop music, cultivating a loyal fan base of 84.4K followers on Instagram and about 8,000 followers on Spotify. The Teen Magazine had the pleasure of sitting down with her to discuss navigating the music industry and give us some insight into the process of crafting her songs.
Laur Elle is a native of Oklahoma but was raised in Alberta, Canada. As the daughter of a hockey coach, she was raised with the focus and precision of an athlete, becoming an internationally competitive gymnast for the Canadian national team. After eventually finding her calling, she attended countless jam sessions and open mics, where the energy of the crowd and the passion of fellow artists ignited a fire within her.
Deciding to pursue her passions, she took on a job at a local music school to make connections with other music-loving enthusiasts. When asked to describe her experience working at the music school and how it impacted her musical journey, she responded, "I started working as a receptionist at a music school because I had just moved to a new city and wanted to meet some other people in the music scene there. Looking back at that decision, it's wild how much it impacted my life. I met some of my best friends and people I still make music with even now. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't get that job answering phones!"
The Sonic Teachings
Blending multiple influences with her unique perspective, she used this opportunity to make songs that are close to her heart and can inspire others. We asked Laur Elle what she hopes her listeners can take away from her music. She voiced, "Life is strange, and hard, and confusing, and lonely, and beautiful.
I think one of my favorite parts of all of it is genuine human connection. There are so many ways to connect, and I've always been drawn to music as a form of expression. I love the idea that my thoughts might connect with someone across the world at a time when they need them in the same way, like so many artists have "been there" for me."
"When I sit down to write a song, it's for me. It's always been the best way to process my emotions and channel them into something that feels less nebulous. Usually by the time that song is produced and ready to be released into the world, I've let the feeling go.
The song kinda takes on a life of its own at that point. It's no longer mine, but ours. I love how something that once felt so personal becomes this beautiful way to connect with people. Nothing compares to the feeling of performing those songs for people live. It's magic, therapeutic, and I don't think I'll ever get over it."
Coming up with new material doesn't always come easy to even the most creative individuals. Sometimes it takes being flexible with your ideas and letting your mind wander to see where it will take you. Laur describes this process by stating, "It's honestly a little different every time.
I'm always collecting ideas. I keep a note in my phone that's a collection of different song lyrics or titles that pop into my head as I'm just living life. Sometimes I'll start with one of those and then play around with chords and start humming melodies that feel like that feeling to me. I love melody writing. It's the most freeing part of the whole process for me."
Laur Elle's journey of creating music is far from over, as she expresses her upcoming projects with excitement and hope. "I am releasing my first full-length album this year and I am so excited! I don't want to give away too much just yet, but it's my favorite thing I have ever created, and it really feels like a part of me to be honest."
Learning more about Laur with 9 Quick Questions!
1. What is your favorite song?
- This changes almost daily for me. I'll hear a new song or one I forgot about, and that becomes my favorite song for the day. I think today's pick is probably Kilby Girl by The Backseat Lovers.
2. What's your hidden talent?
- I used to be a gymnast. I don't know if this is exactly hidden, but I can do a double backflip.
3. Favorite Food?
- Tacos!! You can kinda turn anything into a taco, and I'm never not in the mood for one.
4. Who are some of your biggest musical influences, and why?
- I grew up listening to Taylor Swift, and I think her lyrical style and melodic sensibilities truly permeated my brain. I'm also a huge 1975 fan. I love how versatile their sound is! I would say that my music feels like a combination of those two artists.
5. What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out in the music industry?
- I have so much to say about this! I'll give you an abridged version for now. I'd say:
Write soooo many songs! About anything and everything. Learn as much as you can about how the music industry works.
Making the music is my favorite part of it all, but it's only one piece of the puzzle. Trust your gut:) Hold onto your "why." Why do you want to be in music? I reference this often when making big decisions, and it helps me make decisions that feel authentic.
6. If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be and why?
- I had a pet rat once, and she was so cute. Her name was nibbles, and I taught her how to do tricks, and she would hang out on my shoulder when I was watching TV, so maybe a rat, haha? I've also always wanted a dog, but I travel too much right now. Maybe one day!
7. If you could only wear one color for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
- Probably blue because I like every shade, and they all look good together.
8. If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring three items, what would they be?
- My best friend, a helicopter, and a speaker.
9. If you could be a character in any TV show or movie, which one would it be?
- Honestly, probably Harry Potter or Sabrina Spellman. I just want magic to be real.
Keep up Laur Elle and her journey on social media!
Follow Laur Elle on Instagram: @iamlaur.elle and Tik Tok: @laur.elle!