Planning a summer get-together? Need some activities to keep you company?
Board games are always a great idea for killing time while having fun! I know that monopoly or chess might be the first thing that comes to your mind. However, believe it or not, there are plenty of cool board games other than the classic ones.
Here are some extravagant board games that you can enjoy during the summer and help you and your friends bond together:
Starting off with my absolute favorite, mastermind is a board game that's all about cracking codes. This classic code-cracking game can be played in several different ways. However, the most common one needs two players: a codemaker and a codebreaker. The codemaker's goal is to create the perfect code that no one can break. On the other hand, the codebreaker must try to break the code in the fewest number of guesses possible. The game includes 96 colored pegs in 8 different colors. The codebreaker wins if he/she manages to break the code within 12 guesses. However, if he doesn't manage to do so, the codemaker ends up winning.
Ps: you have to first decide who will be the first codemaker, which is the person that sits behind the rotating end of Mastermind with the codebreaker directly opposite.
Jenga is a really fun one because anyone could literally play it, despite age. The rules are pretty simple! To create the initial tower, stack all of the blocks in levels of three placed next to each other, just like the picture above. Now, you take turns by taking one block from any level of the tower and placing it on the topmost level. However, you should know that you can't take a block from the level right below the incomplete topmost one. In addition, you can only use one hand at any time, so make sure you put one hand away while playing.
Players keep on taking turns until the tower falls. The player who made it fall loses. The best thing about this game is that there is no maximum number of players possible, so the whole squad can join! No one will have to make any sacrifices!
Scrabble, the world's famous crossword game! Here's how to play:
- Place all the letters in the pouch and draw for the first play. The player with the closest letter to "A" starts. Now, return the letters back to the pouch.
- Every player then draws 7 new letters and puts them on his/her rack.
- The first player combines 2 or more of his letters to form a word on the board.
- After you play, make sure you draw the same number of letters played from the pouch. The rack must have 7 letters at all times.
- The next player adds one or more letters to the ones on the board to form a new word and so on...
This is just a quick summary of the rules. However, if you want to learn more about the rules and scoring, make sure to check out their website by clicking here!
4. Monopoly deal
Unlike the classic monopoly board game, this one is quite different since it's made up of cards. You have to know that monopoly deal is all about collecting properties and stealing from your opponents. The point of the game is to collect 3 full sets of different properties to win. Here are the quick basics:
- Shuffle the cards and hand each player 5 cards.
- Put the remaining cards face down in the center.
- The first player starts by drawing two cards and then playing 3 onto the table.
- Make a bank pile for your money and leave a side for the collection of properties.
- Property cards and money are played in front of you while action cards are played in the center.
Although action cards have clear instructions on them, you can still click here to learn more! Also, don't worry, I have to admit that the game is quite complicated at first. However, once you get the hang of it, it gets super interesting and fun!
Let's just admit it, dominoes can never get old! I'm sure everyone is already familiar with the game. However, if not, don't worry. Here's a quick, short video that explains it all:
6. Speak out
To be honest, this is a really fun one! The objective of the game is to successfully guess phrases to earn cards. The team with the most cards wins. Here's a quick summary of how to play:
- The first player puts the mouthpiece into his mouth and turns over the sand timer.
- Then, he draws a card and reads it out loud.
- He has to keep on repeating the phrase until one of his teammates guesses it or when the timer runs out.
- If one of his teammates guesses the phrase before the time runs out, then the player picks up another card and keeps going.
- After the timer runs out, the player has to take out his mouthpiece, and then the other team gets to switch turns.
- After each player has taken 2 turns, the game is over.
And that's really it! A very simple yet fun game to play while hanging out with your besties!
7. Cards Against Humanity
There are different editions of this game depending on age. However, the game rules are quite the same:
- Each player draws 10 white cards.
- One random player is chosen to be the judge and plays a black card.
- He then reads the question or the fill-in-the-blank phrase out loud.
- Everyone else answers with their funniest white card by passing it face down to the judge.
- The judge shuffles all the white cards and then reads each of them out loud.
- Later, he picks a favorite, and whoever played it gets to keep the black card as a point!
8. Fast Sling Puck
Last but not least, the easiest of them all: the fast sling puck.
- Each player puts 5 pucks on his side.
- Use the elastic to send the pucks to the other side of the board using only one hand.
- Aim at the board hole and let the game start!
The first player with no pucks on his side wins. Although this game needs two players only, the people watching will be cheering, yelling, and going nuts. In addition, you can also set tournaments so all players can get a chance to play!