Did you know that the adult human body has more than 60,000 miles of blood vessels? Or that the brain has approximately 100 billion nerve cells? Or that just one foot is made up of 38 bones, 30 joints and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments which all have to work in harmony just to allow us to take a single step? There’s no doubt about it, the human body is intricate, miraculous, and fascinating. Learn all about it with these thirty interesting human body facts!
1. The cornea is the only part of the body with no blood supply.
2. The satisfying sound of cracking your knuckles comes from gas bubbles bursting in your joints.
3. Between birth and death, the human body goes from having 300 bones, to just 206. (BONUS: babies have 94 more bones than adults do!)
4. When you blush, so does the inside of your stomach.
5. A quarter of your bones are in your feet.
6. You are taller in the morning.
7. The human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap.
8. Your left kidney is higher up than your right kidney.
9. Your ears and your nose never stop growing.
10. Stomach acid can dissolve metal. Stomach acid would burn right through your skin if you touched it.
11. Tongue prints are as unique as fingerprints.
12. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour. If that doesn't make you want to vacuum, I don't know what will.
13. Babies only blink once or twice a minute, while adults average 10 times a minute.
14. While awake, your brain produces enough electricity to light a light bulb.
15. You carry, on average, about four pounds of bacteria around in your body.
16. 50 percent of your hand strength comes from your pinky finger.
17. Cornflakes have more genes than people do.
18. If they were laid end to end, all of the blood vessels in the human body would encircle the Earth four times.
19. As you breathe, most of the air is going in and out of one nostril. Every few hours, the workload shifts to the other nostril.
20. Belly buttons grow special hairs to catch lint.
21. Your tongue is made up of eight interwoven muscles, similar in structure to an elephant’s trunk or an octopus’s tentacle.
22. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
23. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
24. Calming music is said to lower heart rate and decrease tension, while upbeat music speeds pulse up.
25. On an average day, the heart produces enough energy to power a truck for 20 miles.
26. If your eye was a digital camera, it would boast 576 megapixels, translating to roughly $3,000 of Canon equipment.
27. Female hearts beat faster than males, despite being smaller. While an average woman’s heart weighs around 118 grams, a man’s can weigh up to 60 grams more.
28. Tiny mites known as demodex live in the hair follicles of our eyelashes and eyebrows.
29. 75 – 90% of the dust in your home comes from dead skin cells.
30. Your eye can detect up to 10 million different colors. Finding the words to describe them is up to you.